There are many tripod brands on the market. Learn which are the best brands so you can find a high-quality and ideal tripod for you.
When taking photos with long shutter speeds, you need a tripod to ensure the image is sharp. If you’re shooting handheld, your photos will end up blurry due to any slight shake or movement.
Related: Best gifts for photographers
With a high-quality tripod, you can take long exposure photos without worrying about blur.
It also allows you to use techniques like focus stacking or taking panoramas. Plus, good tripods are sturdy, adjustable, and compactable for travel.
Related: Understanding focus in photography
When you’re shopping for a tripod, the two common materials are carbon fiber and aluminum. Carbon fiber is the lighter and stronger option.
However, it comes at a higher price. Unless you have the budget, aluminum is the ideal choice if you’re a hobby or amateur photographer.
Related: Canon EOS 90D review
Now, find out what the best tripod brands are, including information about their background, price, and best-sellers.
If you’ve asked around or searched for the best tripod, you’ve likely come across Manfrotto.
It’s one of the most popular and best-performing tripod brands in all of photography and videography.
Related: The best memory card readers in 2021
Manfrotto is based in Italy and was founded in the 1960s. The tripods from Manfrotto are known for being sturdy, high-quality, durable, and cost-effective.
While searching for Manfrotto tripods, you may come across Bogen. Manfrotto acquired Bogen in 1993. So today, they’re the same brand. Also, Manfrotto is owned by The Vitec Group.
Manfrotto offers aluminum and carbon fiber tripods. The prices range from less than $100 to more than $500.
The following are Manfrotto’s best-selling tripods:
- Manfrotto Compact Action Aluminum Tripod. Buy for $69.88 from B&H.
- Manfrotto Befree Advanced Travel Aluminum Tripod with 494 Ball Head. Buy for $195.84 from B&H.
- Manfrotto MK290XTA3-3WUS 290 Xtra Aluminum Tripod with 804 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head. Buy for $199.99 from B&H.
- Manfrotto Befree Advanced Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with 494 Ball Head. Buy for $329.88 from B&H.
- Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 Ball Head Kit. Buy for $679.50 from B&H.
Whether you’re new to photography or an experienced pro, Manfrotto makes a tripod that’ll suit your needs.
2. Really Right Stuff
Really Right Stuff is a high-end brand based in Utah and was founded in 1990. While its tripods are on the expensive end, they’re worth every penny.
Really Right Stuff offers materials, such as carbon fiber, stainless steel, and aluminum. The tripods are designed and built well.
They also have some of the heaviest weight capacities, which allows you to load it up with the gear you need for your photo.
The following are the best-selling tripods from Really Right Stuff:
- Really Right Stuff Pocket Pod. Buy for $120 from B&H.
- Really Right Stuff TFA-01 Ultra Pocket Pod with BPC-16 Microball Package. Buy for $288 from B&H.
- Really Right Stuff TFC-14 MK2 Series1 Ultralight Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $835 from B&H.
- Really Right Stuff TFC-24L MK2 Series2 Long-Leg Ultralight Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $985 from B&H.
- Really Right Stuff TVC-34L Versa Series 3 Mk2 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $1,160 from B&H.
If you’re looking for a high-end tripod that lives up to its price, can handle a lot of weight, and folds into a small size, look no further than Really Right Stuff.
Gitzo is owned by The Vitec Group, which also owns Manfrotto. Like Manfrotto, Gitzo is very popular in the industry.
However, Gitzo is an older brand. It was founded in France in 1917 and makes high-end and durable tripods.
While most of Gitzo’s tripods are carbon fiber, you can find some aluminum ones. Even though Gitzo offers aluminum tripods, only choose the brand if you want a carbon fiber one.
It’s for professional photographers, and the carbon fiber tripods offer excellent performance and styling.
The following are Gitzo’s best-selling tripods:
- Gitzo GIGT1545T Traveler Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $479.88 from B&H.
- Gitzo GT2545T Series 2 Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod with Center Ball Head. Buy for $713.88 from B&H.
- Gitzo GT3543LS Systematic Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Long). Buy for $999.88 from B&H.
- Gitzo GT2542 Mountaineer Series 2 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $1,039.88 from B&H.
- Gitzo GT5543XLS Systematic Series 5 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Extra Long). Buy for $1,394.88 from B&H.
Gitzo is a top-tier brand that continues to innovate and build some of the best tripods available.
FEISOL started as a carbon fiber tube manufacturer. In 2002, it expanded into tripods, monopods, and other camera accessories.
It’s a Florida-based company that’s known for its unique three-position leg-angle locks. FEISOL also stands out because they’re very light when you compare the same capabilities of other tripods.
Most of FEISOL’s tripods are around $300 to $600. However, you can get heavy-duty ones for more than $1,000.
The following are the best-selling tripods from FEISOL:
- FEISOL TT-15 Mark 2 Mini Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod. Buy for $79.95 from B&H.
- FEISOL CT-3442 Tournament Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $459.95 from B&H.
- FEISOL CT-3441T Traveler Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $479.95 from B&H.
- FEISOL Elite Tripod CT-3372 M2 Rapid. Buy for $629.95 from B&H.
- FEISOL Elite Tripod CT-3472 M2 Rapid. Buy for $659.95 from B&H.
Overall, FEISOL offers mid to high-end tripods that are lightweight, sturdy, and come with a three-year warranty.
Magnus is a brand that only makes tripods and monopods. While Magnus isn’t as old as other brands, like Manfrotto or Gitzo, it’s quickly growing in popularity due to being an affordable option.
If you’re new to photography or have a smaller budget, Magnus offers top-rated tripods for less than $100.
The main drawback is that it doesn’t have a high weight capacity, as most of the Magnus tripods can hold up to around 13 pounds.
The following are the best-selling tripods from Magnus:
- Magnus TP-50B MicroPod Tabletop Tripod. Buy for $14.95 from B&H.
- Magnus TR-13 Travel Tripod with Dual-Action Ball Head. Buy for $69.95 from B&H.
- Magnus PV-7451M Tripod/Monopod with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head. Buy for $69.95 from B&H.
Magnus is an excellent brand for budget-friendly tripods at a low price. It’s also great for mounting smartphones and smaller cameras.
Robus is owned by Gradus Group, which also owns Magnus. While Magnus offers low-cost tripods, Robus is a mid to high-end brand based in New York.
Robus offers some of the tallest and sturdiest tripods on the market. With the ability to be taller than other tripods, you can capture interesting and unique perspectives.
The following are the top tripods from Robus:
- Robus RC-5558 Vantage Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $399.95 from B&H.
- Robus Vantage Series C 4-Section Carbon Fiber Compact Tripod. Buy for $429 from B&H.
- Robus RC-5570 Vantage Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $449.95 from B&H.
- Robus RC-8860 Vantage Series 5 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $499.95 from B&H.
- Robus RC-8880 Vantage Series 5 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $599.95 from B&H.
If you’re looking for pro-level carbon fiber tripods for less than $1,000, Robus is an excellent brand to consider.
Oben is another tripod company owned by Gradus Group. It sits in between Robus and Magnus when it comes to price.
Most of Oben’s tripods are less than $200, and you can choose between aluminum and carbon fiber.
Oben isn’t known for being a high-end tripod brand. Instead, it’s known for its practicality and durability.
The following are Oben’s best-selling tripods:
- Oben CTT-1000 Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod. Buy for $84.95 from B&H.
- Oben AT-3565 Aluminum Travel Tripod and BZ-217T Triple-Action Ball Head. Buy for $109.95 from B&H.
- Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod (Long). Buy for $114.95 from B&H.
- Oben AC-1451 4-Section Aluminum Tripod with PD-117 Pan/Tilt Head. Buy for $129.95 from B&H.
- Oben CT-2491 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $299.95 from B&H.
If you’re looking for a tripod that isn’t too pricey and is adventure-ready, Oben is a great brand to check out.
Slik was founded in Japan in 1948. It’s one of the oldest brands that adopted the features used today.
In 1977, Slik began selling a tripod that offered adjustable height, lever leg locks, and a quick-release shoe system.
Slik tripods are well-built and come with a mid-tier price tag. Most of the tripods are around $100 to $200. However, Slik offers several heavier-duty ones that are more than $500.
The following are Slik’s top-rated tripods:
- Slik Mini Pro III Tripod with Ball Head. Buy for $34.95 from B&H.
- Slik 700DX Pro Tripod Legs (Black). Buy for $119.95 from B&H.
- Slik Sprint Pro III EZ Travel Tripod with SH-707E 2-Way Pan Head (Matte Black). Buy for $129.95 from B&H.
- Slik Pro 400 DX Tripod with SH-705E 3-Way, Pan-and-Tilt Head. Buy for $139.95 from B&H.
- Slik Pro CF-834 Tripod (Black). Buy for $249.95 from B&H.
If your budget is a few hundred dollars and you want a tripod that’s stood the test of time, Slik has excellent options.
9. 3 Legged Thing
3 Legged Thing is a newer company, as it was founded in 2010 in the United Kingdom.
While 3 Legged Thing offers great tripods, they’re well-known for implementing color in their design. It’s what made them stand out in a market of black or silver tripods.
Another unique feature is the secondary locking system. It provides extra support.
The majority of tripods from 3 Legged Thing have heavier load capacities, leading to them being more expensive.
When you compare the price and load capacity, they’re rather budget-friendly. Most of their tripods can hold between 20 to 100 pounds, and the price ranges from $100 to $800.
The following are the most popular tripods from 3 Legged Thing:
- 3 Legged Thing Travis Aluminum Travel Tripod with AirHed Neo Ball Head (Blue and Orange). Buy for $159.99 from B&H.
- 3 Legged Thing Corey Magnesium Travel Tripod with AirHed Neo Ball Head (Black). Buy for $199.99 from B&H.
- 3 Legged Thing Punks Brian Travel Tripod with Airhed Neo Ball Head (Carbon Fiber, Bronze/Blue). Buy for $279.99 from B&H.
- 3 Legged Thing Legends Bucky Carbon Fiber Tripod with AirHed VU Ball Head Set (Bronze / Blue). Buy for $499.99 from B&H.
- 3 Legged Thing Legends Tommy 3-Section Carbon Fiber Hybrid Video/Photo Tripod. Buy for $799.99 from B&H.
Overall, 3 Legged Thing offers unique and sturdy tripods.
Vanguard was founded in 1986. It’s known for its versatile, effective, and affordable tripods. Most of the tripods are around $100 to $300.
Vanguard tripods are easy and quick to set up, which means you’ll be ready to shoot in no time.
The main downside is that they’re relatively long when folded. So, it’s not the best option if you have limited space when traveling.
Otherwise, Vanguard tripods are well-constructed and work for all types of photography.
The following are the best-selling tripods from Vanguard:
- Vanguard VS-82 2-Section Table-Top Tripod with 2-Way Pan Head. Buy for $29.99 from B&H.
- Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum-Alloy Tripod Kit with SBH-100 Ball Head. Buy for $141.98 from B&H.
- Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 263AB100 Aluminum-Alloy Tripod Kit with Alta BH-100 Ball Head. Buy for $199.99 from B&H.
- Vanguard VEO 3+ 263CB Carbon Fiber Tripod with VEO BH-160 Ball Head. Buy for $329.99 from B&H.
As a leading tripod brand, Vanguard offers lightweight and strong tripods at an affordable price.
If you’re a new or hobby photographer and don’t want to spend too much on a tripod, Vanguard has excellent options.
11. Peak Design
Peak Design was founded in 2010 in San Francisco. What started as a crowdfunded company has become a massive success.
Initially, Peak Design was known for camera clips and bags.
Then, they released one carbon fiber and one aluminum tripod. Both of them offer a 20-pound load capacity and are on the higher end with price.
However, the Peak Design tripods are incredible and worth every penny. They’re expensive but are perfect for travel. The tripods are lightweight, sturdy, and compact.
The following are the best tripods from Peak Design:
- Peak Design Aluminum Travel Tripod. Buy for $349.95 from B&H.
- Peak Design Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod. Buy for $599.95 from B&H.
If you’re looking for a compact and well-built tripod with a decent weight capacity of 20 pounds, Peak Design is your ideal brand.
Sirui was founded in 2001 in China. While Sirui is a manufacturer of cameras and lighting equipment, they also make monopods and tripods.
The tripods from Sirui are reliable, durable, and stable. They range from $100 to just over $500. They’re not up there with price, but they’re very durable and often underrated.
The following are Sirui’s best-selling tripods:
- Sirui 3T-35K Table Top Tripod (Black). Buy for $84.99 from B&H.
- Sirui A1005 Aluminum Tripod with Y-10 Ball Head. Buy for $128.90 from B&H.
- Sirui T-25SK T-0S Series Travel Tripod with B-00 Ball Head (Black, Carbon Fiber). Buy for $179.90 from B&H.
- Sirui ET-2204 Travel Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $249.90 from B&H.
- SIRUI Standard Series Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit ST-124+K-10X. Buy for $339.90 from Sirui.
Sirui is an excellent tripod brand that can benefit photographers of all skill levels. Many of their tripods fold into a very compact size that’s ideal for travel.
JOBY became popular due to its GorillaPod, which was the first flexible tripod. It was founded in 2006 in San Francisco. Today, JOBY is a part of The Vitec Group.
The flexible tripods are versatile, durable, and perfect for travel. JOBY offers several models, ranging from tripods for smartphones to heavy DSLRs.
While the JOBY flexible tripods are excellent, there are drawbacks. First, they don’t extend. So, you can’t adjust the height.
Second, it’s hard to move the legs and find the perfect position. It takes a while to get used to it.
Once you get the hang of it, you’ll love using the JOBY GorillaPods.
The following are the best-selling tripods from JOBY:
- JOBY GorillaPod 325 Flexible Mini-Tripod. Buy for $22.21 from B&H.
- JOBY GorillaPod Magnetic 325 Flexible Mini-Tripod. Buy for $25.07 from B&H.
- JOBY GorillaPod 1K Flexible Mini-Tripod with Ball Head Kit. Buy for $28.14 from B&H.
- JOBY GorillaPod 3K Flexible Mini-Tripod with Ball Head Kit. Buy for $45.16 from B&H.
- JOBY GorillaPod 5K Flexible Mini-Tripod with Ball Head Kit. Buy for $101.05 from B&H.
The JOBY flexible tripods aren’t traditional. However, they’re effective, as long you’re fine with it not extending.
They’re long-lasting, as you can expect years of use with them staying in good shape.
Benro was founded in 1995 in China. Today, it’s one of the best tripod brands because they’re smooth, secure, and have excellent build quality.
Benro also owns MeFOTO and Induro, which are two other popular tripod brands. Combined, they make an excellent group of tripods across wide price ranges.
The following are the top Benro tripods:
- Benro TAD27A Series 2 Adventure Aluminum Tripod. Buy for $134.95 from B&H.
- Benro Tripster Travel Tripod (1 Series, Black, Aluminum). Buy for $154.95 from B&H.
- Benro TMA47AXL Extra Long Series 4 Mach3 Aluminum Tripod. Buy for $244.95 from B&H.
- Benro TMA27C Series 2 Mach3 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Buy for $329.95 from B&H.
- Benro Tortoise Columnless Carbon Fiber Three Series Tripod with GX35 Ball Head. Buy for $474.95 from B&H.
Benro’s tripods are simple, easy to use, and strong. It’s one of the most versatile brands and perfect for use in any situation.
ProMediaGear was founded in 2009 in Illinois. It’s a high-end brand that makes impressive tripods.
The tripods are well-built and backed by a five-year warranty. They also have a sleek design that simply looks cool to carry and use.
As the name suggests, ProMediaGear makes tripods designed for pros. The load capacity for each tripod ranges from 60 to 125 pounds.
The following are the best tripods from ProMediaGear:
- ProMediaGear TRS344L34mm Series 71″ Pro-Stix Carbon Fiber Tripod with Top Plate and Compact Apex. Buy for $999.95 from B&H.
- ProMediaGear TR344 34mm Series 59″ Pro-Stix Carbon-Fiber Tripod with Top Plate. Buy for $1,029.95 from B&H.
- ProMediaGear TR423 42mm Series 58″ Pro-Stix Carbon-Fiber Tripod with Top Plate. Buy for $1,149.95 from B&H.
- ProMediaGear TR424 42mm-Series 58″ Pro Stix Carbon Fiber Tripod with Top Plate. Buy for $1,299.95 from B&H.
While they’re one of the more expensive brands, the quality is superb. ProMediaGear is an excellent tripod brand if you’re looking for something pro-level.
Overall, tripods are worth the investment because they ensure that your photos are sharp when using slow shutter speeds.
So, out of the 15 top tripod brands, which are the absolute best?
If you want to buy the best tripods on the market, go with Manfrotto, Peak Design, or Gitzo. You can’t go wrong with each of the brands. Their quality and durability are impeccable.
Featured image courtesy of Canva.
About David Em
David Em is the founder of Portraits Refined. He’s a published portrait photographer dedicated to helping photographers develop skills, capture incredible photos, and build successful businesses.